Wednesday, November 08, 2006
Due process

Two concerns have been nagging me after a drama that unfolded a little earlier this evening. I was sitting at a cafe' called 'Galanga' in Male' (that's the capital of Maldives) when some twenty or so policemen shuffled in and apprehended half-a-dozen foreigners, citing that they had entered the country by illegal means (the citation was proffered by a uniformed immigrations officer).

My concerns? 1) Does Maldives honour due process? If not, 2) am I in breach of my rights as a Maldivian by discussing my concerns?

Let me clarify. Due process is the treatment of all individuals based on the same rights (correct me if I'm wrong in my brief definitions). According to the Department of Immigration and Emigration any foreigner can attain a thirty-day visa on arrival to the Maldives subject only to three conditions stated on their website. As such how does one decide that any given foreigner has malice in mind (even if he/she were wearing a shirt that says 'I am Charles Manson reborn!' let alone one emblazoned 'Reuters') and others do not? Is there not a service policy which sanctifies due process? Consequentially, should not due process be considered and the government let suspicious individuals be monitored rather than immediately apprehended? Upon apprehension how does one get a confession from a would-be criminal (by bribing him with a box of Godiva?)?

If the government reserves the right to pass verdicts based on suspicion then they have every right to apprehend me for fear that my articles may inflame the public. Don't they?

(PS. Am off to have a coffee while I'm still free [Godiva beckons!].)

(PPS. On behalf of the people of Maldives I apologize for our government's failure to honour due process [unless the government can prove otherwise, in which case I would apologize to them for writing this article]. If we could help [hint hint], we would.)

2 comments:

M said...

"due process" exists where there is a sensible constitution and laws eminate from the constitution. here, laws get printed on toilet paper everytime zaeemu (magey loabi loabi zaeemu) wipes his arse.

in maldives, the practice has always been "radhun vaidhaalhu vee gotheh, beyfulhun vidhaalhuvee gotheh". the culture still continues.

why apologise to a bunch of foriegn "devils" who were in the coffee house to "spread christianity" and "pretending to be journalists"? hehe. man, i lurv the local media. i wonder what they are smokin in order to get so creative.

u have had the previledge of tasting due process here. you are guilty until proven innocent. and if convicted by a judge, you can still be considered innocent if ordained by an "authoritative body".

messymissy_01 said...

nice comment.