Tuesday, November 21, 2006
Console 'war'?

I tried www.wii.com and landed in a site which looked like a 12-year-old's class project - the reviews of the published games and the lack of upcoming ones were most disappointing. I tried www.playstation3.com and www.ps3.com ending up nowhere.

To get the low-down on the PS3 I finally decided to go to www.sony.com and navigate their menus, ending up at www.us.playstation.com/PS3/PS3Games (talk about long-winded). This site had all the content a PS3-seeker would want, albeit a dull template and colour scheme. Later on, I figured out that www.playstation.com did end up pointing me at www.us.playstation.com/PS3/PS3Games, again after some navigation.

In comparison, one just has to type www.xbox.com or www.xbox360.com on one's address bar and gets transported to all that needs to be learned about the Microsoft console. The Xbox site looks far less apprehensive than the PS3 site, and has better navigational aspects. Then again, everything finally boils down to the visual content of the games. Since I do not own either a PS3 or an Xbox360, the material I made comparisons on were from the respective sites. Here are some of the comparisons I made:


Feature analysis gives us these points to ponder over:

  • Both the Blu-Ray and the HD-DVD are being touted as near-equals

  • The online content for both consoles are similar

  • The Xbox360 offers better content-management (especially music) than the PS3

  • The PS3's picture-handling options, including the gallery, are more comprehensive

  • Subscriptions to network/media options are almost at par with either console

  • The PS3 has a myriad of memory card reading options (available on the more expensive version only)


I say the clear winner is the Xbox360, not only because it 'got there' a year ahead, but also since the PS3 has been nothing but a glorified piece of engineering prowess with very little enhancement in the accompanying content - both in terms of the promotional material as well as the games themselves - over the Xbox360.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, I am not a big fan of Nintendo's Wii (for budgetary reasons) but I can tell you a thing or two about Sony's PlayStation 3, though not much about the games. Its launch line-up sucks, but I am assuming that the real fun will begin when calendar year 2007 kicks-in. I take that you didn't like the North American official site. Well, just check out its European site [http://www.ps3.eu] and product concept site [http://www.playb3yond.com], of which the latter is THE most coolest advertising campaign I've seen so far, relating to the current console war. Enjoy, Fiz.