Sunday, January 29, 2006
If I Were

Everyone wants to have their piece of the pie
Everyone's obsessed about how they'll survive
But do you pause to wonder
'Bout people grieving
Do you pause to think
You can have a piece of heaven

I believed that I could never tell a lie
But I deceive no one else when I deny
There are people in need
Crying, hurting, starving
Do you have to feel
Superhuman to help the dying?

If I were a leader
If I could be stronger
If I only were a li'l bit wiser
But I am not
And all I've got
Is this song and a drying clot

You chose to hide the people who've been deprived
They're cursed by God's will let them subside
The world will see no lepper
Nor retarded weaklings
This nation's blessed
God's bestowed gladdest tidings

Their pain I had never let it inside
I'd never dwelled upon the causes the why
I will give no quarter
To myself or others
Till I find myself
Helped make a better future

If I were a winner
And my dreams were richer
If I only glowed a li'l bit brighter
But I'm not
Still I've got
This will o' mine and an anecdote

1 comment:

Mary-Jo said...

Methinks you don't have to be any thing but YOU to make a difference. Be Shaafiee, MPD and all. But then again, don't listen to me. All I've got are mutterings of a girl with big ideas and a couple of butter cupcakes up her sleeves.